Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Blaming Game


The man said, "The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it." Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?" The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate." Genesis 3: 12-13.

Have you noticed when a problem or mistake takes place in a family or in a workplace or even in the place of worship, there will be many voices and fingers are being pointed to each other? It is none other than BLAMING others. When something goes wrong in our life, we have the tendency to find fault on others. I call it The Blaming Game…

Blaming or pointing fingers to others is not something new to mankind. The blaming game took place even from the very beginning of creation at the Garden of Eden. When God made the first man which is Adam and put him in the Garden of Eden, God gave Adam a commandment which is not to eat from that one tree, “Read - Genesis 2: 16.”

God gave the commandment to Adam directly not to Eve. It is Adam’s responsibility to teach his wife Eve about God’s commandment. Adam is responsible to lead, guide, encourage and help Eve to walk with God and to grow in the things of God. However, what happen at the Garden of Eden?

Eve was deceived by the serpent, and she ate the fruit which God commanded Adam not to eat (Read Genesis 1: 6). She also gave some to her husband and he also did the same thing. After that, when God questioned them about what they have done, both Adam and his wife Eve started to point their fingers to others and from there The Blaming Game started…

Eve blamed the serpent for her fall, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate." And Adam blamed Eve for his fall, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it." Adam not only blamed the women, but he involved God in this blaming game, “The woman you put here with me.” God gave Eve as a blessing and a good helper to Adam, but in his fear and mistake, Adam makes God’s blessing as a reason for his fall.

By right, Eve should be responsible for her own action instead of blaming the serpent and Adam should be responsible for his wrong move instead of blaming the women and God. Adam should say, “God, I messed up, I didn’t communicate properly with the women that you gave me, and I didn’t teach her all Your ways. It’s my mistake for not guiding her in Your ways. I am responsible for all this.”

Dearest, when something happens, it’s so easy to blame others instead of checking ourselves and change from there. We have to pause for a while and think whether we have done anything wrong, before point fingers to others. We are responsible for our own action. Many times, we can blame others and even blame God for our poor decisions in life. Let us stop the blaming game but be humble to admit our mistakes, to apologies and change from there. God will honor the humble…….

No comments: