Thursday, March 4, 2010

Learn To Walk Like The Blind Man

“I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:14

While I was waiting in my car for a friend, I saw a blind man walked pass my car heading to the opposite direction. He skillfully walked beside a busy road. He only used his blind man rod and his hearing senses to walk without stumbling or knocking onto cars or other objects in front of him. He was not distracted by the noise of the busy road but he paid attention as he walked. The blind man’s rod and his hearing senses are his greatest tools for him to reach to his destiny.

I couldn’t take my eyes off him because I was so deeply moved and amazed to see him walk humbly yet without falling even though he lost his eyesight. I said in my heart, “It is by God’s grace…” As I was observing Him suddenly God prompted a question in my heart. The prompting was like this, “Do you think in a single day this blind man is able to walk skillfully?” That question moved me even deeper…

Then God Himself prompted the answer in my heart by saying, “This blind man didn’t learn to walk skillfully in just one day. It took him sometime to learn to walk by using the rod and his hearing senses. At the beginning stage he stumbled and fell many times when he was learning to walk but he didn’t give up. He tried and tried many times until this stage now.” Wow, what an answer from the One who knows all things.

It is true; the blind man couldn’t have learnt to walk skillfully in just one day. Probably it took him many falls, knocks, wrong directions, interpreted some sounds wrongly and even hurt himself a few times when he falls. I believe he never gave up but he pressed on, learning from his mistakes and persevere until he was able to learn to walk with his rod and hearing senses.

Likewise, no one is able to learn to walk with God in just few days. Walking with God is a process; it’s not a one day deal. As you walk with God in this life you will do mistakes or stumble. When you stumble or do some mistakes you shouldn’t condemn yourself because the Lord will never condemn you, “Neither do I condemn you…” John 8:11. Wake up from your fall and whack the dust off yourself and start to walk again. Learn from the mistake and move on again. When you had taken a wrong direction, just stop and turn back to his direction.

God is so good, He never expect us to walk alone. The blind man has his rod to lead him to reach his destiny but God has given us His precious Holy Spirit to lead us to reach our destiny. Pay attention and submit to the Holy Spirit’s leading. Not only that, in this busy and noisy world you can hear many sounds and voices. But let His voice give you a sense of direction. Find time daily to spend quality quiet time with the Lord. He will surely lead you with His gentle voice.

Remember, walking with God is a process. Don’t be discouraged or give up walking with Him when you do some mistakes. No one is perfect. All of us are in His molding hand who is continuously molding us without giving up on us. One day you will be able to walk with Him steadily. So don’t give up but press on to walk with God, “I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:14

No comments: