Friday, March 5, 2010

Love…

"But the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13b

What comes to your mind when you see the above title about LOVE? Very often the world narrows down the word LOVE to a girl-boy relationship only and the worldly understanding of love is more to sexual activity. But the truth is, LOVE is more than what the world could conclude. The Dictionary's definition about LOVE is a deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude towards a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness. But what God said about LOVE?

God's definition of LOVE is totally opposite than what the world could say. The Bible in its entirety is a LOVE letter from God to mankind. Nevertheless, one can find a concise definition of LOVE on one of the letters written in the Book of 1 Corinthian 13. This is what God says about LOVE, "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

What a beautiful definition of LOVE God has given us. But let us be honest here. Is it easy to love someone in a way God says about loving someone in the Book of 1 Corinthians 13:4-8? Many of you will shake your head and say, "It is not that easy to love someone in that way." I agree with you but let us go further before we conclude here. During one of my quiet time with the Lord, I asked the Lord, "Lord, how to love someone in the way 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8 says? It’s not easy, Lord." While I was saying that I sensed in my heart that God said to me this following verses, "Look at Me" I pause for a while, then He continued to say based on 1 Corinthian 13:4-8, "This is how I have loved you…"

I was so touched to hear Him say how He has loved me all this while. I begin to recall back my journey from the beginning with Him. Before and after I came to know Him, I have done many mistakes in life but I understand He was patiently loving me and changing me from glory to glory. Even when I walked in the opposite direction, He kindly loved me and humbly brought me back to His direction. When I repeatedly did the same mistake, He is not easily angered and He keeps no records of my repeated mistakes but He repeatedly said to me, "My Son, I love you and you are always my beloved child". During my lowest point of life and when I feel I am a failure, He would come near to me and give me hope by saying, "I trust in You. You are not a failure but you are more than a conqueror." I begin to understand that all this while in my journey with Lord, His love never fails me.

Dearest, only Christ can love anyone in this way! Now the question is, can we love someone in a way that He loves us base on 1 Corinthians 13? It is possible, but not based on our own strength but only through Christ who lives in us. For you to have this kind of love, you in the first place have to decrease and let Christ increase in you each day. The Christ that is living in you will enable you to love others as how He loves us. If you desire to have a healthy relationship, you must be a Christ-centered person, not self-centered person. If we are always being self-centered people, it always will be, "me and me alone…". So, for us to be like Him and to care for others like He does, we must be rooted in Him and live a Christ-centered life. Through Him the Book of 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 will be significant for you.


"When I was lost, You have found me with Your great LOVE.
When I stumble in my weaknesses, Your Great LOVE enables me to stand on my feet.
By Your grace I have found a Fatherly LOVE in You that will never fade away.
In Your LOVE ,oh Lord my God, I have found a new hope.
Your LOVE oh Lord, makes me as who I am today.
Truly Your LOVE will never fails me."
                                                            - Benjamin Thiru

No comments: